When you’re starting keto, you know that you have to keep track of what not to eat on a keto diet. And while that includes plenty of your favorite sugary sweets, there are keto dessert foods that can help satisfy your sweet tooth. And in this article, we’ll take a closer look at one of them—specifically, keto cookies.
What is a keto cookie?
A keto cookie is an ingenious creation, to say the least! This keto food combines the joy of cookies and the principles of the ketogenic diet. Not only do they taste like normal cookies, but they also have low net carbs and are high in healthy fats.
That makes these the perfect indulgence while achieving or staying in a state of ketosis, where your body uses fats instead of carbs for energy.
The Ingredients Of Keto Cookies
What makes a cookie keto? Well, you’d have to use low-carb and high-fat ingredients. Here are some examples of what you’ll frequently use for the dough (not batter!) you’ll be laying out on your baking sheet:
- Almond flour: Almond flour has a low-carb and high-fat base. It’s one of the most frequently used flour not just for keto cookies but also for other keto dessert recipes such as a keto cheesecake.
- Coconut flour: Coconut flour gives you both a low carbohydrate count and a touch of coconut flavor.
- Sugar substitutes: You won’t be using any brown sugar or any other kind of powdered sugar in these kinds of cookies. But don’t worry—keto cookies will still be sweet thanks to the use of natural sweeteners like erythritol, stevia, or monk fruit sweetener.
- Healthy fats: Examples are butter (not margarine!), coconut oil, and nut butters (like almond butter). They’re the ones that give cookies delicious flavors aside from satiating fats.
- Eggs: Essential for structure and texture, eggs also give protein and more healthy fats to your cookie dough.
Other ingredients will depend on the flavor you’re going for. If, for instance, you’re making keto pumpkin cookies, then you’ll definitely have to use pumpkin puree and cream cheese.
Are these low-carb cookies healthy?
We’re not doctors, so we can’t really say that something is healthy per se, but keto cookies do come with some nutritional perks, such as:
- They’re low in carbs: Traditional cookie recipes are often high in carbohydrates and sugar, which is not good for you if you’re watching your blood sugar. With their low carb content, keto cookies are more suitable for diabetics and carb-conscious individuals.
- They help in weight management: Because these low carb cookies are high in fat and also contain plenty of protein, eating them will make you feel full faster. And that has a good effect of making you eat less since you still feel satisfied.
- You’ll have more energy: According to MSD Manuals, fats are the slowest source of energy but they are also the most energy-efficient. You’ll also get twice the energy compared to proteins or carbs.
Note that keto cookies aren’t the only source; you can more or less expect the same thing from other keto snacks or keto-friendly food such as keto bread.
What are the usual flavors of cookies that are keto-friendly?
Do you know what’s great about keto cookie recipes? Surprisingly, you’re not that limited in flavors. For example, you can make the following flavors:
- Choco-Nut Delight: Infused with sugar-free chocolate chips and chopped nuts, this flavor combination strikes a perfect balance between indulgence and nutrition. Think of this as a more flavorful, low-carb chocolate chip cookie!
- Zesty Lemon Burst: Want lemon cookies? It’s possible! The zingy essence of lemon zest combined with almond flour creates a refreshing and delicious cookie.
- Cinnamon Spice: A dash of cinnamon transforms keto cookies into a cozy, freshly baked treat.
- Decadent Dark Chocolate: This flavor is for true chocolate enthusiasts. You’ll get a rich and intense cocoa experience—without the guilt!
- Berry Bliss: Incorporating dried or freeze-dried berries into the cookie dough gives you a burst of fruity goodness with every bite. Just make sure the fruits are considered keto, such as avocado or strawberry.
- Peanut Butter: Yes, peanut butter keto cookies are also possible. You get the rich and creamy flavor of peanut butter but with keto-friendly ingredients. They’re satisfying, health-conscious alternatives to traditional cookies.
- Oatmeal: Substitute oats for keto-friendly ingredients and put them in cookies. You won’t have to lose the classic and comforting taste of oatmeal cookies!
Bake Your Own Keto Cookies: Enroll in The Bailiwick Academy!
Want to try and make surefire delicious keto cookie dessert recipes in the comfort of your home? You can—thanks to Ms. Chiqui Dingcong’s Keto Cookie Master Class!
With this class, you’ll be able to make 5-star keto cookies in four different flavors:
- The rich and moist Keto Red Velvet Cookies
- The delectable crunchy but soft and chewy Keto New York-Style Chocolate Chip Cookies
- The intricate Chocolate Hazelnut Thumbprint Cookies; and
- Indulgent Caramel Bourbon Cookies
It’s guaranteed that each cookie recipe will delight those who try it! And with recipe videos that give you comprehensive, step-by-step instructions and insightful tips, you’ll naturally evolve into an accomplished cookie maestro. Plus, you’ll be able to conquer the market for those looking for guilt-free treats!
Don’t delay—sign up at The Bailiwick Academy now!
Q: Can keto cookies satisfy my sweet tooth?
A: Keto cookies can take getting used to. But when you get used to them, they will provide the sweetness you crave without derailing your low-carb journey.
Q: Are keto cookies okay for gluten-sensitive individuals?
A: The use of almond and coconut flours in keto cookies eliminates gluten, making them a good option for those with gluten sensitivities. However, it is still best to consult with your doctor before you push through with keto cookies as your go-to snack.
Q: Can I find keto cookies in stores or online?
A: Yes. Many health food stores and online platforms offer a variety of premade keto cookies. However, if you are particular about taste, it might be better if you make your own, such as enrolling in The Bailiwick Academy’s Keto Cookie Master Class.
Q: Do I need to follow the keto diet to enjoy these cookies?
A: No. While keto cookies are tailored for the ketogenic diet, they can be enjoyed by anyone seeking a low-carb, guilt-free treat.
Q: How do keto cookies compare to traditional cookies taste-wise?
A: Keto cookies might have a slightly different texture due to the alternative ingredients used, but their taste can be just as satisfying as traditional cookies.
Q: Can I bake keto cookies in my own kitchen?
A: Absolutely! Baking your own keto cookies at home allows you to experiment with flavors and ingredients to suit your preferences. But for a good base, enroll in TBA’s Keto Cookie Master Class.
Keto cookies beautifully blend taste and health and can be available in many flavors. Understanding their ingredients and benefits allows you to enjoy these treats as part of a keto lifestyle or simply as a healthier cookie option. With their delicious taste and health benefits, they are a great addition to any diet.
Keep coming back to The Bailiwick Academy blog for more kitchen tips, tricks, and much more!